Call for Nominations
SUARAM HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD 2009
Deadline: 15 November 2009
In conjunction with SUARAM’s 20th Anniversary Celebration, we invite you to send in nominations for the 11th Annual SUARAM Human Rights Award.
Initiated in 1999 on the 10th anniversary celebration of SUARAM, this annual award seeks to give recognition to local communities and collectives in their outstanding and inspiring endeavours to protect and promote human rights activism in Malaysia.
This year, 10 years after the inaugural award was presented in 1999, SUARAM once again calls for nominations for this award, which will be presented at SUARAM’s “20 Years Defending Human Rights” Dinner on 6 December 2009.
Previous winners have been diverse in their causes, but all of them have overcome tremendous hardships and tribulations in the fight for human rights. Winners in previous years were:-
1999: The people of Kampung Sungai Nipah
2000: The Reformasi Movement
2001: Save Our Schools Damansara and wives of ISA detainees (joint winners);
2002: Police Watch & Human Rights Committee
2003: The former plantation workers’ community of Ladang Braemar
2004 The Kuala Kuang villagers and the workers of Euromedical Industries (joint winners);
2005: The Temuan Orang Asli Community from Kampung Bukit Tampoi in Dengkil
2006: the Chin Refugee Committee and the Bukit Jelutong plantation community (joint winners).
2007: The Coalition against Healthcare Privatisation and the residents of Kampung Sungai Terentang, Rawang (joint winners)
2008: The Penan community of Ulu Baram, Sarawak and the Hindu Rights Action Force (HINDRAF) (joint winners)
The guidelines are listed as below:-
- Only communities or groupings of people are eligible for nominations. Nomination of an individual will not be accepted.
- Nominations of family members of the SUARAM secretariat and staff will not be accepted.
- Nominations will be received from any party, be it from individuals or organizations.
- The nominating party is required to complete the Nomination Form in the languages of English, Malay, Chinese or Tamil.
- Supporting Documentation is to be in the languages of English, Malay, Chinese and/or Tamil. These can be photographs, videos, newspaper clippings, newsletter etc.
- The Nomination Form is to be sent with supporting documentation to SUARAM, via fax, email and/or postal mail.
- CLOSING DATE
- Nominations will be closed on 15 November 2009.
- CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Community or group of people which has struggled persistently and fearlessly in defending their rights, justice and dignity against oppression.
- Organization and leadership of the people which has empowered and activated their people in the process of struggle and to continue in their efforts to promote and protect human rights.
- SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNER
- A panel of judges comprising individuals who have been involved in human rights work in the country will select the award winner.
- The winner will be announced on at SUARAM’s “20 Years Defending Human Rights” Dinner on 6 December 2009.
- PRIZE FOR AWARD WINNER
- The winner will receive a prize money of RM2,000.00 and a specially-commissioned glass trophy designed by renowned artist Wong Hoy Cheong.
For further enquiries, please contact John Liu (tel +603 7784 3525 / 7783 5724; fax +603 7784 3526; or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
SUARAM HUMAN RIGHTS AWARD 2009
Name of community / group of people: _________________________
Contact Person & Phone No: ______________________________
II. Please answer each of the following questions on a separate sheet of paper and include with this nomination form.
- Profile of nominee
Please describe the background and composition of the community or group of people that you are nominating. Also, please describe the activities, actions and/or programs for which recognition is being sought. Please attach supporting documentation.
(No less than 300 words, excluding supporting documentation. There is no limit for supporting documentation.)
Please describe how the activities, actions and/or programs relate to the purpose of the Human Rights Award.
Please state clearly how the activities, actions and/or prograams of the community or group of people that you are nominating fulfill each of the following criteria:
i. The persistence in their struggle to defend their rights, justice and dignity against oppression.
ii. The fearlessness in their struggle to defend their rights, justice and dignity against oppression.
iii. The extent of which their work has empowered their people to continue the efforts to promote and protect human rights.
(No less than 200 words)
III. Send this completed nomination form and supporting documents by 15 November 2009 to:
Subject: SUARAM Human Rights Award 2009
Address: 433A, Jalan 5/46, Gasing Indah, 46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan
IV. Submitted by:
Organization Name: ______________________________
Tel: _______________________ Fax: ______________________